Thursday, March 3, 2011

Charade

Audrey Hepburn's husband is killed. He had stolen some money that now are missing. George Kennedy and James Coburn want the money, so does Walter Matthau and Cary Grant. Who can she trust? Directed by Stanley Donen

It's another film I remember seeing on tv as a kid! But I think it's more than just nostalgia that makes this a great film. I'd say it's the best Hitchcock film not directed by Hitchcock. Hell, even including his films it would be close to the top of the list in my mind. For one thing, Hepburn is more appealing than the cool blondes Hitchcock liked. Donen lets the actors have fun and not simply replicate the storyboards. The Grant taking a shower - with his clothes on! - scene would probabably not have been allowed in a Hitchcock film. I wonder if it was scripted or something Grant came up with. Walter Matthau is very funny in his part. And the climax in the theater is genuinly thrilling. Even after you know the sollution of the mystery it's an entertaining film.

3 comments:

  1. Also one of the cutest love declarations in movie history: "Do you know what's wrong with you? Nothing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic movie and I always have it stuck in my head that it's a Hitchcock movie, even though I know it's directed by Stanley Donen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. c'est marrant ça, j'étais sur que c'était Hitchcock qui avait fait ce film.. ben zut alors !

    ReplyDelete